Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) Secretary Courtney Phillips released the department’s first business plan in nearly a decade.
Titled Together: Building a Stronger LDH and a Healthier Louisiana the plan was published for the State’s financial year (FY) 2022. The new business plan identifies and details 17 initiatives and 42 objectives under four major commitments.
According to LDH, the 17 initiatives aim to improve the health and well-being of Louisianans with an emphasis on prevention; reshaping the working culture of the LDH; and improve customer service, partnerships, and community relations, while being transparent, accountable, and compliant with state and federal regulations.
Commitments and initiatives include:
Improve the health and well-being of Louisianans with a focus on prevention
LDH says it is committed to its mission to protect and promote the health of all residents of Louisiana, which includes physical, mental and environmental health. Through the administration of health programs and other direct service programs across the department, LDH provides access to health services to millions of Louisianans.
Our goal will be to ensure that residents receive the right care at the right time and in the right place. This business plan commitment includes initiatives led by LDH that:
- Evaluate dental coverage and services for adults enrolled in Medicaid to improve health outcomes
- Improve access to treatment for substance use disorders and the quality of care
- Improving care for people with severe mental illness
- Improve the early detection of colorectal cancer and the treatment of high blood pressure and diabetes
- Improve health outcomes from pregnancy to childhood
- Increase and strengthen service delivery for vulnerable residents
Reshaping LDH Culture
In FY 22, LDH said it will focus on recruiting, developing and retaining top performing team members.
“Our work in this area will also focus on transforming LDH into a workplace that is more inclusive, fair and responsive to the needs of team members. This business plan commitment includes initiatives led by LDH that will do so ”,
- Advancing equity, diversity and inclusion within LDH
- Improve the culture, recruitment and retention of the #TeamLDH
Improve customer service, partnerships and community relations
To improve health outcomes and function effectively, LDH says they need to be in close communication and partnership with the people we serve. Advancing Louisiana’s health is a complex endeavor – the health problems themselves are innumerable, they have disproportionate impacts on vulnerable and minority populations, and they are influenced by the physical, social, and economic contexts in which our people live. residents. Meaningful community engagement enables a better understanding of the needs and aspirations of communities, enabling LDH to better solve health problems and provide residents with health information.
This business plan commitment includes initiatives led by LDH that:
- Forge new strategic partnerships with public universities
- Improve the sustainability of public water supply systems
- Leverage community partnerships to improve participation in LDH programs and improve program design
- Pilot a workforce development program
- Support efforts to increase diversity in the state’s health workforce
Promote transparency, accountability and compliance
LDH says that with increased transparency, the public and stakeholders will have greater confidence that LDH is operating efficiently, effectively and accountable for all applicable laws and regulations. This business plan commitment includes initiatives led by LDH that:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive annual Medicaid provider rate review process
- Develop sustainable, fair and comprehensive supplementary payment systems
- Improve LDH’s compliance with state, federal and agency requirements
- Increase accountability and transparency through the Medicaid Managed Care Organization (MCO) contract
Keep in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To join the newsroom or report a typo / correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters sent by email to your inbox. Select from these options: Latest News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers